Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Model B+ Citrix Only Release and Full Release 5 - Will not boot
23-07-2014, 09:50 PM, (This post was last modified: 24-07-2014, 02:00 PM by MagnumBI.)
Model B+ Citrix Only Release and Full Release 5 - Will not boot
Using the RPi-TC R5 Citrix Only Release, I can't get it to boot. This release works perfect on the Model B Pi, but I can't get it to boot on the B+ Pi. I noticed there is a difference in the config.txt file, but it only applies to the overclocking of the Pi (at the bottom of config.txt). Anyone else tried it?

***Update***
I also tried the full release and it will not boot. It's not a bad SD card or anything like that, because I tried SD cards from other working model B Pi's. I noticed a change in the config.txt file towards the bottom.

#uncomment to overclock the arm. 700 MHz is the default.
#arm_freq=900
#core_freq=450
#sdram_freq=450
arm_freq=1000
core_freq=500
sdram_freq=600
over_voltage=6

# for more options see http://elinux.org/RPi_config.txt
#gpu_mem_256=160
#gpu_mem_512=316
gpu_mem=96
#cma_lwm=16
#cma_hwm=96
boot_delay=0

kernel=kernel.img

This is what it looks like as default I put comments on the overclock section to see if that was causing the problem, but that didn't correct it neither.
28-07-2014, 11:01 AM,
RE: Model B+ Citrix Only Release and Full Release 5 - Will not boot
Hi MagnumBI,

we havent testet it on the new board yet.
So could you provide us a bit more informations?
How is your Pi connected, HDMI, VGA Adapter?
What do you mean with it can't boot.
Do you see anything on the screen, an error message or just a black screen?

Regards DaWast
-= Feel Free to use the Search function in the upper right corner =-
28-07-2014, 01:27 PM,
Hi DaWast,

The Pi is connected using HDMI, when I say it doesn't boot it doesn't start up at all nothing shows on the screen its a black screen. I think the firmware has to be updated for sure I don't know about the Kernel.

(28-07-2014, 11:01 AM)DaWast Wrote: Hi MagnumBI,

we havent testet it on the new board yet.
So could you provide us a bit more informations?
How is your Pi connected, HDMI, VGA Adapter?
What do you mean with it can't boot.
Do you see anything on the screen, an error message or just a black screen?

Regards DaWast
29-07-2014, 01:02 PM,
Same here, works fine on Model B, but when I plug power into the B+, the green light flashes quickly once, with the red light staying on throughout. But I cannot get a any signal to my screen - and the screen goes to standby as a result.

I've tested the MicroSD card by putting it into an SD Card adapter, and putting it into the Model B - and that boots fine.

Any ideas when you might to able to start testing on the B+?

I'm perfectly willing to help with any testing.

Thanks!
29-07-2014, 06:11 PM,
Hi,

sure we will try to support the model b+ as soon as possible.
But we don't have a B+ Board yet.
Maybe it is just a firmware problem.

But first of all could you please try to boot the standard kernel?!

edit config.txt (inside BOOT partition) and change the line: kernel=kernel.img in kernel=kernel-std.img to use standard RaspberryPi Kernel.
-= Feel Free to use the Search function in the upper right corner =-
29-07-2014, 07:30 PM,
Hi DaWast,

Can't wait for you guys to get the B+ then! Can you guys keep the current Release 5 setup then move forward with adding different features/receivers in the future for the B+? The Citrix Only Release 5 is perfect!!! I also would like to help if I can, but where most likely on different timezones (I'm in America).

I changed the line kernel=kernel.img to kernel=kernel-std.img and it still produces the same problem. All it shows is the red power light the green activity light flickers on for about a second and goes completely off. I do believe it is a firmware problem, because it looks like the Pi just doesn't recognize theirs an image on the micro SD card. Even if we could get this release to work on the B+ without a firmware update the Ethernet and the USB ports will not work. There is a new LAN chip, new Ethernet port, additional USB ports etc.

I downloaded the latest Raspbian release 2014-06-20 and burned it to the same micro SD card and it boots up fine (because it has the updated firmware). I also put an older Raspbian release 2014-01-07 on the same micro SD card and put it in the B+ and it would not boot which looks the same as the ARMTC release 5 images.

(29-07-2014, 06:11 PM)DaWast Wrote: Hi,

sure we will try to support the model b+ as soon as possible.
But we don't have a B+ Board yet.
Maybe it is just a firmware problem.

But first of all could you please try to boot the standard kernel?!

edit config.txt (inside BOOT partition) and change the line: kernel=kernel.img in kernel=kernel-std.img to use standard RaspberryPi Kernel.
30-07-2014, 10:15 PM, (This post was last modified: 31-07-2014, 11:12 AM by cmotanmc.)
hi guys,

I was able to bring it to boot but it seem does not working well...
I edited the config.txt line hdmi_force_hotplug=1 and the picture came in.... but keyboard and mouse not responding... also there was no response with eth1 static and dynamic adresses.
testet with model b+ release 5 and citrix only release 5. same issues.

actually i think it is kernel issue, because with RPiTc_hardfloat_R1 there are no issues with model B+. But it have only RDP... if you find a way to put Citrix receiver without bugs it will work
31-07-2014, 05:08 PM, (This post was last modified: 31-07-2014, 05:16 PM by MagnumBI.)
Hi Cmotanmc,

Nice find!!! I put the hardfloat image (June 10,2014) on the B+ and it does boot all the way to the desktop and the Ethernet, Keyboard, and mouse works. I don't think you can put the Citrix receiver on this hardfloat image, because of the SOC the model B and B+ is currently using.

I'm thinking the Kernel and the Firmware needs to be updated. On the Citrix Only release and the Full Release 5 they both are using a unique dual Kernel 3.10.19. The hardfloat image has the Kernel 3.12.20. I put this image on the B+ and checked the firmware version by going to the LxTerminal and entering in sudo vcgencmd version and it shows the version May 31,2014 19:22:48 8ccbc02d9f9le4880cde02ebeb35e2c51c25a717 (clean) (release). The current Raspiban image (2014-06-20) has the Kernel 3.12 and shows a firmware version Jun 18 2014 18:46:58 la6f79b82240693dcdb9347b33ab16f656b5f067 (clean) (release).

Now the Citrix only release shows a version of Nov 15 2013 14:17:01 162026b1448f49le97e3b3b57cdca29be6ald6la (tainted) (release). The difference is that hardfloat image has a newer kernel and a newer firmware. I believe if it had that older firmware the Ethernet and USB would not work, because that firmware is meant for the model B and not the B+ so the Pi wouldn’t even know about the new components. I see the firmware as something like a BIOS, you can't use a different BIOS for one make of PC and try to bring that BIOS to another model of PC. The kernel and firmware are significant, because the up to date releases have alot of fixes in them something like Windows service packs.
(30-07-2014, 10:15 PM)cmotanmc Wrote: hi guys,

I was able to bring it to boot but it seem does not working well...
I edited the config.txt line hdmi_force_hotplug=1 and the picture came in.... but keyboard and mouse not responding... also there was no response with eth1 static and dynamic adresses.
testet with model b+ release 5 and citrix only release 5. same issues.

actually i think it is kernel issue, because with RPiTc_hardfloat_R1 there are no issues with model B+. But it have only RDP... if you find a way to put Citrix receiver without bugs it will work
06-08-2014, 01:19 AM,
Tongue  RE: Model B+ Citrix Only Release and Full Release 5 - Will not boot
I just bought two RPi B+ and I was trying to set them up to do citrix, I even setup up a lab environment and then i flashed the sdcard and Nothing **!** after hours of trying to troubleshoot it on my own i decided to check if anyone had the same issue, then my heart just sank after reading this post. I'm really bummed out now. I'm going to see if anyone would trade my B+ for a B HuhSad
10-09-2014, 03:27 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-09-2014, 04:41 PM by MagnumBI.)
I got the Model B+ to boot all the way to the desktop on these images with a working Ethernet connection (which means you can SSH or VNC into the B+). Everything works except for the mouse and keyboard. The mouse has a solid red light on the bottom and the keyboard just doesn't respond.

I got this far by going to https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware and selecting the "Download ZIP" button on the right. Once the zip file is downloaded insert the SD card with the RPI-TC Release 5 image on it and put it into a Windows computer and open the SD card. Open the zip file and navigate to the "boot" folder.

Copy and replace these files onto the SD card : "fixup.dat" "fixup_cd.dat" "fixup_x.dat" "kernel.img" "start.elf" "start_cd.elf" and "start_x.elf. Now the image has an updated Kernel 3.12.28. Next just safely eject the SD card from the Windows PC and put it into the B+. I did check the firmware version by going to the LXTerminal and entering in "sudo vcgencmd version" and it shows a version of Sep 8 2014 19:02:48 version 3f2f2607186be72e4945cfa8edc77872dfc73195 (clean) (release). So the Kernel and the firmware is up to date, but the USB ports still not working and they are connected to the LAN chip and the Ethernet is working which makes it odd. If someone can figure out this problem to fix the keyboard and mouse (USB ports) all you will have to do is create a .img of the distro and it will be back to normal again.