Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Out of space !
20-11-2014, 10:25 PM, (This post was last modified: 20-11-2014, 10:27 PM by madhouse1985.)
Question  Out of space !
Hi,
My name is Benoit and I am a french mechanical manufacturing teacher.
I use RPItc for developping a low price solution for programming NC machines next to it.
It is off course for non commercial use and absolutely only for my students.
I have made a special case for it milled from solid called Apple Pi B+.

[Image: sans_t10.png]

The principle is to remote a fast computer which is able to run our powerfull (but memory, CPU and video killer !) CAM software. (computer aided machining)
The RPITC module will be connected next to the NC machine to a classic TFT computer screen as a normal PC.

Now i am trying to update my RPITC prototype to add a few things :
- PDF Reader &
- LibreOffice (same as Open Office).
But the problem is that my memory card is full. 0Mb/1.1Gb in the right up control panel.

It is a little bit weird because my SD Card is a 16Gb one.
I supose that when you create the main partition using diskimg force it to be a 1.1 Gb partition...

Is it possible to extend the available memory space (I'm thinking about Gparted) ?

Or am i just an idiot ?

And already sorry for my spoken english which is very poor...

Thanks for answering.

Benoit.
21-11-2014, 05:01 PM,
RE: Out of space !
execute raspi-config from console (IMHO it should be there) and choose expand FS
21-11-2014, 06:30 PM,
(21-11-2014, 05:01 PM)Sand Brow Wrote: execute raspi-config from console (IMHO it should be there) and choose expand FS

raspi-config is not installed.
I am trying to update the repository list but i need to be "root".
I am still trying to do it.

Thanks for your answer Sand ! Wink
21-11-2014, 11:55 PM, (This post was last modified: 21-11-2014, 11:56 PM by madhouse1985.)
Ok i did it but it was really tricky...
I first tried to install raspi-config... Big fail ! 'Cause it won't expand the main partition.
So second try : Gparted on a fresh new installation of RPiTC.
Won't work anymore : you can't expand the main partition on the unformated space because it is impossible to merge it with the active partition.
Third try, the good one !
I have installed Gparted on a Virtual Machine (VirtualBox) and i merged it very easily.

I think it's good to know it for noobs... Like me ! Big Grin

Wink
29-01-2015, 08:47 PM,
Salut,
Sympa ta box ;-)
Si tu as un rebut qui traine ça m'interesse...

Enfin surtout merci d'avoir laisser la soluce pour expand le FS sur le rpitc.

A+

Pierre
30-01-2015, 09:50 AM,
Français: La communautée présente ici parle Anglais. Cela serait sympathique de faire de même. Wink

English: The community present here speak English. That can be very appreciated to do the same. Wink
05-07-2016, 12:50 AM,
(21-11-2014, 11:55 PM)madhouse1985 Wrote: Ok i did it but it was really tricky...
I first tried to install raspi-config... Big fail ! 'Cause it won't expand the main partition.
So second try : Gparted on a fresh new installation of RPiTC.
Won't work anymore : you can't expand the main partition on the unformated space because it is impossible to merge it with the active partition.
Third try, the good one !
I have installed Gparted on a Virtual Machine (VirtualBox) and i merged it very easily.

I think it's good to know it for noobs... Like me ! Big Grin

Wink

Works perfect, the gparted tip sent me down the right path! And I found a utility disk that comes with gparted already installed so if anyone would rather just burn a cd (or usb) and boot off of it, rather than bring up a linux vm (for the windows users out there), it's just a couple more steps that's already taken care of for you.

I made a quick youtube video with the utility disk if anyone wants a quick step-by-step walk through (from just another linux noob)

https://youtu.be/vAIt7dmHJEE