Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SD cloning
13-03-2015, 04:54 PM,
Sad  SD cloning
Help me i'm going crazy

i'm trying to clone my sd (16gb) on windows (win32diskimager) but i can't write it on a new sd (16gb) because it is too big HuhAngry
13-03-2015, 09:56 PM,
RE: SD cloning
Thats maybe because 16GB are not always 16GB. ;-)
It can differ from each manufacturer.

Try to use a bigger SD Card or you need a tool that will just copy the used blocks.
But i dont know a tool like that on windows.
-= Feel Free to use the Search function in the upper right corner =-
14-03-2015, 05:38 AM,
I too faced a similar issue when I first setup our Pi Thin Clients in our office 2 years ago. Here's what I did to solve it for us, perhaps it will help others as well...

I create a 'Golden' image of rpitc on a 4GB SD card. For our purposes I don't install all that much on my rpitc image (in fact I remove a lot of the deskotp shortcuts as we only use rdesktop). I add in my scripts and crontab job to auto reconnect. I install Gibbio's RDP Gui and have recently begun to use RPi-Monitor for remote monitoring my Pi from a webpage. I expand my image to take the full 4GB on the card. Once I have my Golden image all setup and tested I burn this to an .img file on Windows using Win32DiskImager.

Now I use 8 GB SD Cards as my Production cards in all our Pi Thin Clients. I do not expand the image on my 8GB Cards. I suppose I could but again everything we need fits on the 4GB with lots of room to spare. It is afterall a Thin Client image so we don't need to have a lot of space. I burn my 'Golden Image' to all the 8 GB SD Cards we use (plus I have a stack of extra just in case) and I now have no problem with fitting the image on the card.

Hopefully this helps you in developing your own strategy to build rpitc into your workplace.
14-03-2015, 10:15 PM,
I've started playing around with the new beta image for Pi 2.

If we want to keep things tights, have FreeRDP installed as well as a first launch greeter that would ask which VDI client to setup as well as the network/VPN settings if any, do we think we cam manage to keep the image under 2GBs?

Honestly, my goal is to not really have Gnome or LXDE installed. Just a Display Manager, a Greeter for first start and CLAMAV with daemons and 1 complete scan per day done.

I'm sure there must be a way to achieve this starting with the current Pi 2 beta.

My goal is to offer the image as an appliance bundle for people who require affordable thin clients without the hassle of understanding the innards of Linux, RasPi or VDI clients.

A lot of SMBs would benefit from this especially those who have no IT or don't have the budget for easy to deploy commercial Thin clients.
16-03-2015, 11:03 AM,
there is nothing i can do for "compress" my image?
16-03-2015, 12:23 PM,
you cant compress the image to fit on an other sd card.
The inflated image will be the same size.

Am i right that you resized your filesystem on that sd card to the maximum available size?
Because maybe the problem is that your partitions are to big.
So you have to resize it again to smaller partitions so that it dont use the whole sdcard.
Then it may fit on other sd cards too.
-= Feel Free to use the Search function in the upper right corner =-
16-03-2015, 02:43 PM,
I did a bit of googling and found the following links. In both of these threads I see people reporting success so hopefully one of these will work for you:

http://sirlagz.net/2013/03/10/script-aut...downsizer/

Read the below thread thoroughly to the end as it seems people made a lot of little tweaks and suggestions to the process throughout the post that got it working:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewto...29&t=21342

The code for rpi-clone has been moved to here (and has been updated recently in 2015 so that's a good sign):
https://github.com/billw2/rpi-clone

I've not used any of these methods myself so I can't confirm if any of these will work for you so give them a try and if one works please post back to the forum so we can all learn how to do this.

Good Luck!
17-03-2015, 12:05 AM,
To downsize rpitc images I use gparted on suse or debian linux (with vmware player on a windows pc)
This is my process of making backups:
1. mount the sd-card in linux in vmware-client
2. make the last partition on the sd-card as small as possible with gparted
3. unmount the sd-card in linux -> the sd-card is available in windows
4. use win32-diskimager (version 9.5) with the option "Read only allocated partitions" -> rpitc backup img is about 1.7GB
5. mount the sd-card again in linux
6. enlarge the last partition with gparted to the maximum size

You can write such a 'golden' backup img to a 2GB or greater sd-card and enlarge the latest partition with gparted...

For raspian images I was used to minimize the image with autosizer.sh (found somewhere in the net..) and expand the image after booting with raspi-config.
But even a modified version of raspi-config did not run on rpitc, and the solution above is fairly faster.

The first downsizing with gparted took a longer time (about 15 min from 8GB to 1.7GB) but subsequent tasks are about 2 min. I think it is caused by fragmented data.
Enlarging the partition with gparted is always very fast.

Sure you can create images on linux itself with dd, but win32-diskimager is IMHO the fastest way to do the job.

A very handy solution would be a raspi-config implementation with options to expand and minimize the sd-card with any distribution (just a dream...)

happy downsizing...Rolleyes