Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LINUX Terminal server with RPI as Client
20-03-2015, 08:24 PM,
LINUX Terminal server with RPI as Client
Hello

i just want to ask if there is a way have a Linux Based Terminal server wich can be accessed by this kind of Client (RPITC)

I want to offer

- Browser (Chrome)
- Openoffice
- other Linux Software

I only know Windows Terminal server but im sure there ar ealso Linux Terminal server options.

CU
GTR
20-03-2015, 09:15 PM,
RE: LINUX Terminal server with RPI as Client
Hi Axel,

I've looked into this quite a bit myself. Here is a post I made a short while back - http://forum.armtc.net/showthread.php?tid=1480

I've asked Gibbio to see if rpitc could be added to pi - ltsp. I also think deploying rpitc via an ltsp would give us the ease of deployment...RPI would only need a small set of files that rarely change. An LTSP server would allow us a central location for support.

I've setup pi - ltsp on my own home server and used screen scripts for rdesktop connections...worked great! The developer of pi-ltsp is very responsive if you have any questions. He was actively working to get his pi - ltsp working on the RPI2.

With the RPI2 out the resources on the Pi are greater now so the responsiveness should be even better.
20-03-2015, 09:26 PM,
Hi

Thenk you for your fast anser:

what is the linux client software for ltsp ?

Best regards
20-03-2015, 09:54 PM,
This link will help you get it installed.
http://pi-ltsp.net/

I loaded up Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop in a VM. Then I read through the link above to install pi-ltsp. It's as easy as running a script. It takes a long while to install but worked flawlessly for me.

Good Luck!
21-03-2015, 08:39 PM,
Well in Linux the "terminal server" feature is quite old and the name is X Smile
To use Linux as a terminal server you can simply use one of the following method/free software:
- Xephyr
- ssh -X
- xrdp
- x2go server
- nomachine server
- and more i didnt remember now
If you want/need you can also use KVM/Spice/QEMU to create multiple virtual machine for your clients.