Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RPI Autostart RDP
10-04-2015, 05:09 PM,
RPI Autostart RDP
Hi Guys,

So it might sound silly, But can anybody provide step by step instructions on how to setup a RPI 2 running Beta RPI-TC connecting to a Terminal Sever through Rdesktop/ FreeRDP?

Thanks in advance,

Matt
10-04-2015, 05:56 PM,
RE: RPI Autostart RDP
Hi Matt,

Did you want to auto start the rdesktop/FreeRDP connection? Do you want your users to login with their credentials or are you defining the login details (ID and Password) for them?

If you want to allow your users to login with their own credentials, the way that looks most professional (in my opinion) is using Gibbio's RDPGui - http://rpitc.blogspot.ca/2013/09/freerdp...lient.html.

On select workstations in our office I have RDPGui set to autostart on their desktop so they can pick their desktop and login.

If you want to define the login credentials for your users there are many ways to go about that...give us more details on what exactly you want to occur and I'll do my best to assist.
10-04-2015, 07:01 PM,
Hi There,

Thanks for replying! I'm running Terminal services, So ideally would like the Rdesktop etc to autostartup when the Pi boots up to the windows Terminal Services login screen so the users can log in themselves. As it happens, it's for home use so the pi can have static credentials if required.
13-04-2015, 05:18 PM, (This post was last modified: 13-04-2015, 05:19 PM by greavette.)
If you autostart a connection via rdesktop and not include any credentials...if you don't login soon the connection will get dropped. Not sure what your situation is but if you want your user(s) to be able to login through terminal services (over rdesktop) I would suggest you install Gibbio's FreeRDP/RDesktop GUI client - http://rpitc.blogspot.ca/2013/09/freerdp...lient.html

I use it for our secretary and accountant to login to their virtual desktops. Looks very professional and I can add into the .ini file the servers I want them to be able to see in the dropdown. I have mine autostarting when my RPI Thin Client starts so it's right there on the screen for them waiting for them to enter their credentials.

You mention that this is for home use and you can have static credentials...in that case I also employ scripts that autostart when the RPI Thin Client Boots. Each of my Pi Thin Clients are assigned a hostname (I disable the hostname script that Gibbio has in rpitc). I have a script that runs at boot that reads the hostname of the Pi Thin Client and matches it to the hostname in the config file. Beside that hostname in the config file I have the IP address and login credentials for my rdesktop connection. I pipe in the IP Address and credentials and my Pi Thin Client automatically logs me into that virtual desktop. I then have cron jobs setup that keep my connection to that virtual desktop alive (essentially the script first checks if I have an rdesktop PID running..if I do it assumes I'm connected. If it can't find rdesktop running it auto reconnects me). Works great for the few general workstations that are used by multiple people in our office where they don't need to login with their own credentials.

If you want to know how I do the auto-login let me know and I'll write something up for you. But try the link to FreeRDP/RDesktop GUI client and give that a try.

Hope this helps!