Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
multimedia TC
10-06-2015, 02:02 PM,
multimedia TC
I'm wondering what is currently the best solution for a low-cost multimedia thin client connecting to a linux server (so i'm interested in Linux to Linux only)

So far i have tested youtube videos on RPi2 as client with x2go and the frame per seconds is low in full screen HD. I was told by the developpers that their x2go is currently not performant for videos. I learned that there is a big on going effort on xpra already resulting in better performances for multimedia between linux and linux.

However it turned out that xpra is still slow between a RPi2 and a linux server. Since i cannot anymore put the blame on the TC-software (now xpra), i tried to replace the RPi2 by an Odroid-C1. The problem is now that OpenGL was replaced by OpenGL-ES for the Odroid-C1 which is not supported by xpra. So i have to use the xpra option no OpenGL. But then the performances are still slow on the C1 without hardware acceleration whatever the level of compression.

Eventually i'm afraid there is still no satisfying HD-multimedia TC solution between Linux on small board and Linux server ... if you think of a solution (hardware+software) that i missed, i 'll be glad to hear it from you. It's surprising that on the other hand TC multimedia solutions between linux client and windows server were already performant many years ago... so when you need to buy Licences
(windows+Citrix) there are many solutions working perfectly. I'm trying not to imagine any conspiracy theory but it becomes harder and harder...

thank you in advance for usefull comments
10-06-2015, 05:01 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-06-2015, 05:04 PM by admin.)
RE: multimedia TC
Sadly you're right, "there is still no satisfying HD-multimedia TC solution between Linux on small board and Linux server". Didn't found anything yet comparable to linux as client -> windows as server (with performance of dfreerdp or citrix for example).

If you need "only" to stream video between server and client there is some opengl es raspberry client capable of very good performance
10-06-2015, 07:07 PM,
"there is some opengl es raspberry client capable of very good performance"

Really?
With which software : tigerVNC, x2go , xpra ... other ?
11-06-2015, 09:33 AM,
You can stream video on remote computer without using a client that connect to the remote desktop (like VNC or x2go). But by using a specific streaming software/OS
"If you need "only" to stream video between server and client there is some opengl es raspberry client capable of very good performance":
you can use OpenELEC, OSMC, XBlan. All are based on Kodi (ex XMBC)
11-06-2015, 11:37 AM,
Thank you, i'm not very interested in such solutions because it's really a loss of functiononalities as compared to a webbrowser or a full desktop...
however this confirms that there is no hardware limitation on a pi 2 or an odroid to make them the perfect genuine thin clients in a near future , since the most demanding data flux (videos) are perfectly handled in such media server usage.
It's still hard to understand , given the benefit for the opensource community , why there have been no performant open source TC software that could handle any type of data, including multimedia for years ...
11-06-2015, 12:34 PM,
the problem is that there is no (efficient or not at all)X11 accelerated driver for raspberry so all the video rendering is demanded to the CPU. Its like to use a computer without videoboard (or without videoboard driver).
But, there is some arm board with mali GPU (with included proprietary 2D driver) like odroid-xu3 that are capable of very good performance... but you have to spend around 140/160$ per board... and at this price you can buy some intel atom z3735f quad core 2gb ram minipc with better performance...
11-06-2015, 12:50 PM,
Interesting and confirming my feeling, ... i'm not an expert on these questions but isn't openGL es on RPi (or C1) an efficient enough hardware acceleration ?
11-06-2015, 02:33 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-06-2015, 02:35 PM by admin.)
Clients like citrix, vmware, x2go, vnc etc for linux are based on X11. So, if a videoboard (generically speaking: GPU and VPU) is present and configured correctly X will forward the hard work to the videoboard, if the videoboard is not present, not configured or not able to do some operations, all the work will be forwarded to the cpu extensions (for arm is NEON, for x86 SSE2 for ex.), if there is no support for NEON/SSE2 (hardware or software) all the work is forwarded to the poor CPU that didnt like to decode strange instruction like pixel shader and friends Smile
Streaming videos is different and follow a different path, normally all the ARM SoC are capable of some sort of hardware decode (for RPi MPEG-2 and VC-1 if i remember well) and clients like Kodi include some code to take advantage of it (by using opengl, opengl es or directx APIs)
11-06-2015, 10:28 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-06-2015, 10:33 PM by henryco.)
Is it possible to extend the pi with a more powerful videoboard ?
12-06-2015, 08:43 AM,
when you say "videoboard is not present, not configured or not able to do some operations" i want to be sure to understand what is the problem with the Pi2 for instance: it does have the GPU. Aren't there opensource drivers for it (as for most GPUs and video boards on the market)?