Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cannot login RPITC after upgrade
14-10-2015, 04:30 PM,
Cannot login RPITC after upgrade
Within the past week I ran apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade and now I cannot login to the rpitc profile. It does not autologin and instead goes to a root@rpi:~# command. Attempting to manually login via login rpitc returns to the same point. I can login to the root profile without issue. What do I need to do to resolve this?
14-10-2015, 04:47 PM,
RE: Cannot login RPITC after upgrade
Hi Douglas,

I ran into this issue earlier this year when I tried upgrading the Pi Thin Client. This thread has some details - http://forum.armtc.net/showthread.php?tid=1479.

The last post from David outlines what He did to solve this issue. Although to be sure the upgrade didn't break anything else, when it happened to me I just reflashed my image and started over again. Smile

Hopefully Gibbio or DaWest will step in with some helpful knowledge on how to safely upgrade our Pi Thin Clients and enable the auto-login feature again.
14-10-2015, 05:38 PM, (This post was last modified: 14-10-2015, 06:20 PM by Douglas Riddle.)
(14-10-2015, 04:47 PM)greavette Wrote: Hi Douglas,

I ran into this issue earlier this year when I tried upgrading the Pi Thin Client. This thread has some details - http://forum.armtc.net/showthread.php?tid=1479.

The last post from David outlines what He did to solve this issue. Although to be sure the upgrade didn't break anything else, when it happened to me I just reflashed my image and started over again. Smile

Hopefully Gibbio or DaWest will step in with some helpful knowledge on how to safely upgrade our Pi Thin Clients and enable the auto-login feature again.

I appreciate the reply and I did see that thread, but I pretty sure it is a different issue as it appears that you were able to manually login as rpitc, correct? In my case, I cannot manually login as rpitc. It never logs in, just kicks back out to the command.

I went ahead and tried the recommendation and all it does is throw the RPi into an endless login loop. It continuously attempts to login to the rpitc user, but cannot, and does not go back to the command. It doesn't even show the "Administrator mode" prompt.
14-10-2015, 06:32 PM,
Good point Douglas...when I did the upgrade I was still able to login. So yes your problem is different than yours.

Hopefully the Admins on this forum will weigh in...I'm unsure what the correct answer is.

For my situation I don't upgrade my Pi Thin Clients as my Pi Thin Clients do not have Internet Access (are blocked by our UTM system). Once I get my Golden Image in place I generally leave it alone. I realize that this doesn't help you at all so I'll step aside.

Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance for you.
15-10-2015, 02:43 PM, (This post was last modified: 15-10-2015, 03:05 PM by Walter Stemberger.)
(14-10-2015, 04:30 PM)Douglas Riddle Wrote: Within the past week I ran apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade and now I cannot login to the rpitc profile. It does not autologin and instead goes to a root@rpi:~# command. Attempting to manually login via login rpitc returns to the same point. I can login to the root profile without issue. What do I need to do to resolve this?

Did you increase the root filesystem? The original image is to small, you will surely have problems with upgrade, leading to a non functional system.

Which is the result of the: df -kh for the root filesystem?

I tried to update / dist-upgrade after my last post.

Something is broken with the X system after the upgrade.
15-10-2015, 03:10 PM,
Quote:Did you increase the root filesystem? The original image is to small, you will surely have problems with upgrade, leading to a non functional system.

Which is the result of the: df -kh for the root filesystem?

I tried to update / dist-upgrade after my last post.

Something is broken with the X system after the upgrade.

Thanks for your input. Yes, I have increased the space available. Thank you for trying the upgrade and getting a better idea of what is broken.

The reason I keep updating is that I am hoping something will be updated that fixes the numlock issue in freerdp.
15-10-2015, 03:23 PM, (This post was last modified: 19-10-2015, 09:38 AM by Walter Stemberger.)
Workaround found: Cannot login RPITC after upgrade
WS, 19.10.2015: The xinit 1.3.4-2 solved the issue. This workarround is not any more necessary to have rpitc working!

I found a workaround:

If you have not a root access on your machine (as in my case, where I disabled the root user and autologin is directly to rpitc):

connect to the rpitc user via ssh (or Putty on Windows) from another machine:

Code:
ssh rpitc@ipaddress_of_the_RaspberryPiTC

edit the .bash_profile

Code:
cd
nano .bash_profile

Instead of this, if you have the root prompt on the rpitc display simple edit the /home/rpitc/.bash_profile file:

Code:
nano /home/rpitc/.bash_profile

and eliminate the stderr redirection in the script deleting the 2>&1 in exec startx line:

Code:
trap ' ' SIGHUP SIGINT SIGTERM SIGKILL
if [[ -z $DISPLAY ]] && [[ "$(tty)" = "/dev/tty1" ]]; then
  exec startx >/dev/null
fi

it will display some garbage for a second on the screen, but it is working now...

Something in the X was broken in the last upgrade (Xinit 1.3.4-1)

There is a similar bug filled in already, hope it will be solved soon: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepor...bug=801529
19-10-2015, 09:36 AM, (This post was last modified: 19-10-2015, 09:39 AM by Walter Stemberger.)
The today upgrade replaced the xinit.

The xinit v1.3.4-2 solved the issue with the stderr redirection in 1.3.4-1. Now the client is working as usual.
19-10-2015, 03:25 PM,
(19-10-2015, 09:36 AM)Walter Stemberger Wrote: The today upgrade replaced the xinit.

The xinit v1.3.4-2 solved the issue with the stderr redirection in 1.3.4-1. Now the client is working as usual.

Thanks for the heads-up. Apparently I waited just a bit to long to update as it is still broken in the same way for me. xinit updated to v1.3.4-3.
19-10-2015, 04:02 PM,
(19-10-2015, 03:25 PM)Douglas Riddle Wrote:
(19-10-2015, 09:36 AM)Walter Stemberger Wrote: The today upgrade replaced the xinit.

Thanks for the heads-up. Apparently I waited just a bit to long to update as it is still broken in the same way for me. xinit updated to v1.3.4-3.

I upgraded my RpiTC minutes ago, there was a new xinit v1.3.4-3in the upgrade.

Here all is working as expected, with the new version also.