ARMTC Forum

Full Version: RPi-TC X: is apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade ok?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
First of all: Thank you so much for your hard work!!

We would like to replace our 6 existing Windows XP machines (yes, this is a very small installation) with virtualized Windows 7 clients using SPICE on an existing proxmox server. The proxmox server already runs 4 linux servers (dovecot, postgresql, samba, asterisk) successfully for more than a year, now the idea is to get rid of the PCs running the desktops.

I just received a Raspberry Pi B+ as a testing device that I want to connect to a Windows 7 client already installed on our proxmox server.

To make sure that the RPi-TC X-system is up to date, I had the idea to run apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade.

But when apt told me, that it needs to get a few hundred updates, I started browsing the net and saw some hints...

The question I have is:

Is it ok / needed / forbidden to do an apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade on a fresh install of RPi-TC X?

TIA for any answers
Ralph
Hello Ralph,

Your setup is almost exactly like the one I'm running in our small office. We have two Proxmox Servers running around 30 Windows and Linux VM's on them (VM's are backed up on a weekly schedule to our NAS with RDX tape backup for Offsite). I've been using Raspberry Pi's for thin clients for over a year and a half now and I think it works great! This Raspberry Pi Thin Client O/S Gibbio created for us has been very helpful in making our transition to thin clients that much easier. We don't use Spice for our connections from rpitc to our Windows VM's (mostly Win 7). I wasn't able to get spice to work consistently for us when enabled in Proxmox so I've opted to use rdesktop instead and work out the best settings to ensure a fast connection. I spoke to Martin Maurer (creator of Proxmox) about this issue last March 2014...Martin bought his own Raspberry Pi to test Spice to a Proxmox VM. He was also unable to get Spice to work properly from Arm to Proxmox. I believe he inquired about the issue but did not get a response from rpitc on why Spice wasn't working on Arm. I've not tried Spice since then so perhaps now it's working?

Sorry, got a bit sidetracked there...on to your question...

I don't do dist-upgrades for my rpitc thin clients. The most I'll do is apt-get update and apt-get upgrade to update all my currently installed packages. Before I do any upgrades I ensure I have a backup of my 'Golden' rpitc image. I also do the upgrade first on my test rpitc to ensure our employees don't have issues after I've upgraded.

I leave the dist-upgrades to the next version of rpitc that is released. I find rpitc to be very stable and there really isn't anything bleeding edge I need on my rpitc O/S that would require a dist-upgrade to get to the latest (testing) version of Debian.

If you want to get to the next version I would suggest you do this on a test rpitc first and complete a full testplan of what you use in your office to ensure you don't have any issues.

If you get Spice to work successfully please let me know.

Thanks!
Hello greavette,

thanks a lot for your answer.

Unfortunately the Pi crashes in apt-get upgrade. But I think that I will live without upgrading the system at the moment ;-)

I'll keep you updated on my task to get spice working with proxmox.

At the moment I use a script by Dietmar Maurer that you can get from proxmox:

https://github.com/proxmox/pve-manager/b...example-sh

And it works - I can finally connect to a virtual Win7 machine. It's just a bit slower than I actually expected. Let's see if I can tune this a little ;-))

Ralph
Hi Ralph,

Thanks for the script...I'll take a look at this...I must have missed this on the Proxmox Forum from Dietmar. I'll revisit my use of Spice to Proxmox and see how this works for us.

If you want some details on how we use rdesktop for our Proxmox VM's check out my post here:
http://forum.armtc.net/showthread.php?tid=1461

And I have a reply in this post that gives the rdesktop switches I've used that give me the best performance:
http://forum.armtc.net/showthread.php?ti...77#pid2077

Proxmox and rpitc Rocks!
Hi greavette,

I hope you will be able to successfully connect to your proxmox clients using the scipt!

This might get a little off-topic... here is a new thread concerning the performance problems I have with SPICE:

http://forum.armtc.net/showthread.php?tid=1481

Ralph
Hi Ralph,

I tried to use Spice last year when I brought connectivity issues up with Martin through a Proxmox Support Ticket. At that time I was just playing with using Spice for my connectivity from rpitc. This is very concerning that you are having issues with Spice to your VM's. Not sure how knowledgeable the people are on these forums with regards to Spice. If you have support at Proxmox I would open a ticket up with them to investigate these issues or perhaps raise an issue on Github with Spice themselves.

When I get time I will look at Spice again but for now the system I employ (using bash scripts to decide which Raspberry Pi Thin Client should connect to which VM) and using cron jobs to keep my connections always connected is working very well through rdesktop. My setup is simplistic for our Workstations where generic user ids is all we require for most workstations.

I also employ Gibbio's rdpgui for a more professional look to a login screen from rpitc. This is used by the owners and our secretaries to login to their virtual machines. I'm not sure I would get a similar professional look to logging in using Spice (just my personal opinion) and for now rdesktop is working well for us (although I would love to use rpitc on a banana pi to be honest to take advantage of a larger gigabit connection just for non generic workstations).

I will keep an eye on your post regarding Spice performance and I may poke around the Proxmox forums to see if they are also reporting issues with Spice.

Good Luck!
Hmmm, I'm finding more issues with my rpitc (Oct. 23, 2014 release) after my upgrade. Now I'm getting a kernel panic 'not syncying: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(173,2)'.

At first I had thought my cmdline.txt file got updated to use the wrong partition but it looks fine.

At this point I would not recommend an apt-get upgrade on rpitc and would recommend you wait till the next version of rpitc is released.

Just my final two cents.