ARMTC Forum

Full Version: Window moving and slow scrolling speed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi there,

RPItc is great, thanks for bringing it to live.

I have recently deployed the Hardfloat version from 10th June 2014 (http://dl.armtc.net/RPi-TC/RPi-TC_HardFloat_R1.rar) in order to use it to connect to a Windows 7 SP1 machine. Have updated it with apt-get upgrade also. Using a local network connection too.
The command I use to connect to is: "rdesktop -u USERNAME -f -E -x l -z -P 192.168.1.10"

However I notice when inside the RDP session the Window moving and specially the Scrolling inside browser (not using anything fancy website with videos or much Flash stuff, basically text and images) is slow, something slower than I would thought would be.
I imagined the Hardflot version would improve it this experience. Am I wrong ?

In the other hand I tested the latest image from 23th October 2014 and it seems things are slightly better in terms of Windows moving and Scrolling, but not completely.
Am I right in thinking that the hardware-accelerated X driver is responsible for this small improvement ?

What if I could have the hardware-accelerated X driver in the Hardflot image ? Is that possible at the present as it is for the Hardfloat image ?

Thanks
Hi fredy,

Not sure why you are seeing a performance difference between the two types (hardfloat vs softfload)...I'll be watching this thread to see if anyone else has suggestions for you...

I will admit that the Raspberry Pi experience isn't native for sure, but I've been able to tweak out a pretty good experience with our thin clients for the majority of our workstations using the following rdesktop commands:

rdesktop -u <userid> -p <password> -r sound:off -f -z -x m -b -P <ip address>

-f: full-screen mode
-z: enable rdp compression
-x: RDP5 experience (m[odem 28.8])
-b: force bitmap updates
-P: use persistent bitmap caching
-r sound:off: turned sound off

You will notice that the initial login to Windows is slower but once logged in the responsiveness was better for us. You will also notice that I use the 'm' for Modem experience instead of 'l' for lan and that I've turned off sound (which you may need..not sure).

I keep hearing good things regarding performance on xFreeRDP. Maybe give that a try as well and see if it works better for you.
Hi greavette,
Thanks for the reply.

I have seen a couple of your posts which are intresting and useful.
In fact I am going to test the "-x m" option to find out the difference even being in a LAN. Also the "-b" option. We don't need sound too which may help a little.

Have tested with FreeRDP too. Sometimes I feel it is "a little" better, sometimes I fell is pretty much the same. Needs more testing.

In any way, I'm still interested to hear if the hardware-accelerated X driver is in fact an improvement and the Hard x Soft float.
I'm interested as well to see if the hardware-accelerated X drive on the Hard Float will work better.

Thanks!