Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
creation of a desktop shortcut
23-09-2014, 04:27 PM,
creation of a desktop shortcut
Hello Guys,

I messed around a lot with my RPiTC.img and someday removed all the desktop shortcuts. I now wanted to create one on my own and can't execute it.

what i have done:

followed instructions here. since I dont have the full Desktop Environment as in this article, I did all "by hand".

First i created a rdesktop.desktop file in /usr/share/applications

Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=RDesktop
Comment=...
Comment[de_DE]=...
Exec=rdesktop -u ... -p .... -d ... -m -f -b -x m -z -D -s "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe -P "rpi"" server.example.de
TryExec=/usr/bin/rdesktop
Icon=rdesktop.png
Type=Application

then i copied this one in /home/pi/Desktop and it appeared on the Desktop immediatly.
Anyways when I click on it, nothing seems to happen.

Maybe I am doing something wrong or the article (and the links in it) i read don't apply to my current build anymore. I came to this conclusion because i have no ~/.config/lxsession/ directory.

I can't verify the root of the problem, because i have no functional desktop shortcut here to look at. So it would be great if you could lend me a hand.

Greetings
24-09-2014, 09:54 AM,
RE: creation of a desktop shortcut
Ummm seem all ok, just the Exec line is ummm too many " around Smile
What if you run the same command in a command prompt?
24-09-2014, 10:00 AM,
(24-09-2014, 09:54 AM)admin Wrote: Ummm seem all ok, just the Exec line is ummm too many " around Smile
What if you run the same command in a command prompt?

If i run it in LXTerminal or autostart (same command) it just werks.

The """"" are that rdesktop (-s) only starts Firefox with Firefox userprofile rpi (-P "rpi").

Can someone maybe give me a Desktop Entry for lets say rdpgui or something that everyone on RPiTC HF has installed and has a shortcut by default? So i can create one and see if it works for me.

Greetings
Marc
26-09-2014, 09:35 PM,
please read this: http://standards.freedesktop.org/desktop...-variables
how to use quotes on Exec key.
Or you can create a bash myscript.sh script, for example:

#!/bin/bash
/usr/bin/rdesktop -u ... -p .... -d ... -m -f -b -x m -z -D -s "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe -P "rpi"" server.example.de

and put it in the Desktop Entry instead of the rdesktop cmdline:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=RDesktop Example!
Exec=/opt/myscript.sh
Type=Application
Terminal=False
Icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/RDesktop.png
Categories=Application;

remember to save the myscript in /opt and give the execution permission to the file with "chmod +x /opt/myscript.sh"
01-10-2014, 05:20 PM,
Hello,

thanks a lot for your help.
As a script it finally works. I am very happy to learn GNU/Linux more and more while playing around with my Raspberries.
I even decided to install Gentoo Linux on my new HardDrive at home and am progressing (when i find time to work on it). I even compiled a kernel and learned a lot about the functions reading the modules' descriptions in
Code:
make menuconfig
Your project helped me a lot with getting started in Linux, since it is pretty minimalistic.
Thank you guys for this, you really do a good job!

Greetings
Marc
02-10-2014, 07:23 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-10-2014, 07:24 PM by Andrew Hawley.)
I'm having the same issue here. I tried a standard icon setup, then tried the script setup, and still nothing. Any other ideas?