Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
System RPi-TC X so slow
26-12-2014, 02:59 PM,
System RPi-TC X so slow
Hello i just wanted to test the thin client functionality of the raspberry. So i decided to write the image RPi-TC-X.img to the sdcard of the raspberry.

I used this sdcard: trancend sdhc 10 16gb

I can boot the system but it is terrible slow. I tested raspbian on the card and this was better. So the card must be okay. So why is the system so slow. Any ideas???
26-12-2014, 04:50 PM,
RE: System RPi-TC X so slow
What do you mean with "it is terrible slow"?
-= Feel Free to use the Search function in the upper right corner =-
27-12-2014, 08:09 PM,
(26-12-2014, 04:50 PM)DaWast Wrote: What do you mean with "it is terrible slow"?

I mean that my ipad mini is much faster than the pi solution. So maybe i forget some configurations but maybe the pi is to slow for a thin client in comparison to ipad mini first generation. How is the comarison to a eeepc 900 (with the 4gb/16gb ssd) and how to a igel thin client. Can i really a use a pi for rdp on a 2012 Server R2 or is it not really to slow for this. Many people say you can use the pi for in combination with openelec for a good mediacenter (i also use it) but in fact the firetv is much much much faster and if you once use the firetv than you will really say that the pi is too slow. So that do you think?
28-12-2014, 02:15 AM, (This post was last modified: 28-12-2014, 02:17 AM by DaWast.)
You compare apples with pears.
Or in tech specs you compare a 700mhz Arm6 single core cpu (Raspberry) with a dualcore 1ghz Arm9 CPU (Ipad mini) or even with a 1,7 ghz quad core cpu (fire tv).
Also the ipad and fire tv have on top of this dedicated powerfull gpus.
A raspberry pi is a low budged board with some hardware cpu features like mpeg2 and h264 decoding.
That makes it possible to use it as media player or even as thin client.
It is true that a pi isn't the fastest board out there but it isn't designed for that.

If not or if you can use it for rdp to a 2012 server depends on what you want to do.
If you want to watch 1080p movies on youtube or use high resolution CAD applications through rdp it probably wont be smooth enough.
But for most other cases it will be fine else there would be no rpitc.
If you want more smoothness or a better performance you need to use a better protocol like ica (Citrix) or a more powerfull board like cubieboard or odroid.

Regards DaWast.
-= Feel Free to use the Search function in the upper right corner =-
06-01-2015, 07:01 PM,
My two cents...

Not sure how you are connecting your server/desktop from the Thin Client Pi but to echo what DaWest has said, depending upon what protocol you are using to connect, taking into consideration the tasks/jobs your users will be doing using their thin client and setting expectations is important when considering the use of a Raspberry Pi as a Thin Client. You also have to take into account your network and how congested it is with regards to latency.

In our office I use Raspberry Pi's to connect to virtual machines (yes these are in production daily) using the rdesktop protocol. Before I put this into place I reviewed each workstations tasks and ensured I set expectations for each employee. The majority of our Thin Client workstations use one or two simple (fat) applications on their Windows VM and they have no Internet Access. The experience for these workstations is very quick and responsive. The secretaries and accountant use more applications (such as browsing the web, Office, QuickBooks, Thunderbird..etc). They can at times see some web intensive pages load more slowly (they have no need in their jobs to view videos on the Net) but they've come to accept these minor slowdowns and for the most part their experience with using a MS Office and Mail on the virtual desktop over rdesktop is very quick and responsive.

To ensure the best rdesktop experience I've used the following parameters (look at the rdesktop man page here - http://linux.die.net/man/1/rdesktop to see what works best for you):

rdesktop -u <userid> -p <password> -r sound:off -f -z -x m -b -P <ip address>

-f: full-screen mode
-z: enable rdp compression
-x: RDP5 experience (m[odem 28.8])
-b: force bitmap updates
-P: use persistent bitmap caching
-r sound:off: turned sound off

This is just my experience and only using rdesktop. Perhaps someone who has used Citrix or Spice can chime in and give their experience with performance over those protocols.
06-01-2015, 08:35 PM,
Another option for you is to use a hacked version of dfreerdp. Check out this post for more details (Sand Brow has even been kind enough to provide a minimalistic image for download):

http://forum.armtc.net/showthread.php?ti...26#pid1926

When I get time I will have to check this out for myself.