Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SPICE: poor performance
22-01-2015, 01:52 AM, (This post was last modified: 22-01-2015, 02:11 AM by Ralph.)
SPICE: poor performance
I don't understand the performance problems I experience with SPICE with RPiTC X:

Connecting the Pi to a Win7-client installed on our proxmox server from the proxmox-gui in iceweasel the performance is poor - ok. That's what I've been told...

But I get the same poor performance using remote-viewer - without iceweasel.

Accessing the same Win7-client via SPICE out of the proxmox-gui from my Windows-laptop, the performance is awesome.

I know that the Raspberry has limited power compared to my laptop - but: SPICE is a system that has been developed to work under these kind of limitations. Right?

So: Why does the Win7-client feel so slow?

To give you an example:

- The application we use the most does display database rows in a grid. Using the application with SPICE on my laptop the grid is filled up instantly.
- Using the application with the PI connected to the Win7-client, you can actually watch the grid being filled row by row...

I thought that only the video-content of the client is "broadcasted" to the SPICE device.

remote-viewer throws errors - unfortunately I can't give you any details since I'm not in the office right now.

Why is the performance so bad?
24-03-2015, 10:32 AM,
RE: SPICE: poor performance
(22-01-2015, 01:52 AM)Ralph Wrote: I don't understand the performance problems I experience with SPICE with RPiTC X:

Connecting the Pi to a Win7-client installed on our proxmox server from the proxmox-gui in iceweasel the performance is poor - ok. That's what I've been told...

But I get the same poor performance using remote-viewer - without iceweasel.

Accessing the same Win7-client via SPICE out of the proxmox-gui from my Windows-laptop, the performance is awesome.

I know that the Raspberry has limited power compared to my laptop - but: SPICE is a system that has been developed to work under these kind of limitations. Right?

Hi Ralph, I guess you mean Win7 guest (virtual machine). SPICE is designed to do client-side rendering (it renders on the machine where you run remote-viewer). It saves resources of the host (thanks to this it is possible to run many virtual machines on one server).

If you have some remote-viewer errors, please attach them.

Thanks,

Pavel
26-03-2015, 02:49 PM,
RE: SPICE: poor performance
Poor performance due the low performance cpu Smile
I've tested it on RPiTC2 and is working better (usable at least)