Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average
central management of different clients
17-03-2015, 09:10 PM,
RE: central management of different clients
I use mRemoteNG - http://www.mremoteng.org/ to save all my Pi Thin Client Connections through a tabbed interface and Putty behind it for the connection. I have identical scripts on all Pi Thin Clients (from my Golden Image) and rarely if ever need to update them. In the event I need to update I'm considering a system whereby the Pi Thin Client (through a boot script) checks a shared folder for a file and will copy it. My thought being if I need to update the scripts on my Pi Thin Clients I can do this either through a reboot or by executing the script. If I don't want the file updated I simply don't put a file in the share. Like I said I have no need to update anything yet on my Pi Thin Clients as they are very static (nothing needs to change very often) so I didn't build this script but I don't think it would be very hard to do.

I'm curious...what type of control are you needing to do on your Pi Thin Clients that requires your batch scripts? What's in your batch scripts that you are pushing to the Pi's?

Thanks!
18-03-2015, 10:03 AM,
Thank you for the mRemoteNG tool, that's great and would be useful to use.

With the batch script I wrote, I'm able to change the hostname and to copy some files on the raspberry. With a loop the script connects to different clients from a list, and if they are online (if ping successful) the configuration starts. On Desktop of the Raspberry are some Entries for a rdesktop connection, and if I want to change the ip addresses I just need the script.
10-04-2015, 03:19 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-04-2015, 03:24 PM by matthew.)
Our RPITC setup is managed by puppet open source, from Puppet Labs. It is a configuration management tool that does a fantastic job of changing and maintaining the state of a device. Since all of our thin clients currently use the same setup, all device changes are pulled in by all systems every half hour. If that is not quick enough, a reboot fires off service to pull in and setup the new configuration. Initially we took the stock RPITC-X image and installed puppet without it connecting to the server. We then made an image of that card, which will get new valid certs from puppet on first network connected boot. This will scale to thousands of devices, and there is no need to "touch" each device, it is automagical. However it does not allow for an easy system shutdown, you could create some sort of hokie workaround with puppet, but are you that concerned about a couple of watts, that the power supply is probably going to use regardless if the system is on or off? Our systems are on all the time, the users simply turn off the monitor at the end of the day.
10-04-2015, 06:00 PM,
Thanks Matthew for the message on using Puppet. I'll have to give it a try.

In our office we never shutdown our Pi Thin clients. They are all on battery backups and are always running.