Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Touchscreen POS Setup / Display Controller / Kiosk
21-03-2015, 08:13 PM,
Touchscreen POS Setup / Display Controller / Kiosk
Hi everyone,

Very new to Linux and PI. Looking at the option of using the PI2 as a POS thin client with a touchscreen monitor and as a commercial display controller (essentially just connecting to the Internet and streaming video), but I've been struggling getting my proof of concepts going.

The hardware would have to be readily available in North America.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

My initial problems (sorry - I said I was new)..
1. For some reason my keyboard input is disabled when rdesktop makes its connection to a 2012R2 RDS server. I'm open to any other remote desktop app if there is a better option, a commercial version would be OK too.
2. A little concerned about having to turn off NLA on the Win Server side.
3. I don't have the funds to purchase touchscreens for the proof of concept, so I'm not sure which model would be best.
4. Found some articles regarding PoE (got Cisco PoE switches) - some say no way, some say potentially. Anybody have any ideas/insight? I don't want to fry my PI2...

Thank you in advance!

JI
21-03-2015, 08:57 PM,
RE: Touchscreen POS Setup / Display Controller / Kiosk
1) very strange, i have no problem like that, try to use freerdp instead
2) not a good idea, but i think you can go in the Group Policy setting and change the "Require user authentication for remote connections by using Network Level Authentication" option
3) if the touchscreen hardware is supported by Linux Kernel 3.18.x it will works also in Raspberry board
4) PoE (802.3at Type 2) give an output of 50.0–57.0 V, RPi need an input of 5V so you need a converter like that: http://www.advamation.de/technik/raspber...r-ethernet
21-03-2015, 09:41 PM,
RE: Touchscreen POS Setup / Display Controller / Kiosk
Thank you for the quick reply.

1) I fiddled some more and if I include the password in the connection string my keyboard works. I'm not sure why it does that, almost looks like it's thinking I'm using a swipe card.
2) I'd prefer to not turn off NLA as well, I just haven't found a way to get the PI to support it - this might turn out to be a deal breaker once the proof of concept is presented.
3) Thank you.
4) Thank you.