Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
8% failure rate with RPI-TC X
10-04-2015, 04:47 PM,
8% failure rate with RPI-TC X
I am having an issue that is driving me crazy, so I thought I would invoke the greatness of the community.

We are running RPI-TC X on model B boards in our office. Out of 25 systems, 2 fail to boot after the first boot. They appear to get boot data corruption, but I can not determine the root cause of this. I have tried 10 different SD cards, and they all fail on these 2 devices but work on the others without a hitch. I have tried both Kingston, and Samsung cards, and just the same, the issue is only with the specific PI boards. Likewise I have tried other OS images, both Raspbian, and RPI-TC HardFloat_R1 work just fine.

Has anyone run across this issue? Does anyone know what changes were made to RPI-TC X that could have an effect on this?

Thanks in advance.
10-04-2015, 05:06 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-04-2015, 05:13 PM by DaWast.)
RE: 8% failure rate with RPI-TC X
So you flash any card you can boot the first time and if you immediately reboot the PI it wont come up again?
And may if you reflash the same SD Card it will boot again once?

So why rebooting the Device. Let it run.
;-) Just kidding!

Can you explain what you mean with "They appear to get boot data corruption"?
What exactly is the problem? Will they stuck at ever at the same time and what is the display output?

And have you tried another power supply?
Also please try it without the Overclock settings. (Change it before the first boot)

Regards DaWast
-= Feel Free to use the Search function in the upper right corner =-
10-04-2015, 07:05 PM,
#So you flash any card you can boot the first time and if you immediately reboot the PI it wont come up again?
Correct.

#So why rebooting the Device. Let it run.
It is Linux, so why not!

#Can you explain what you mean with "They appear to get boot data corruption"?
It is very hard to be precise, because the second boot failure is not always predictably at the same point.

#And have you tried another power supply?
Yes, many different generic PS units as well as a Samsung unit.

#Also please try it without the Overclock settings.
This seams to work. I have had many successful boots, then my config management changed config.txt back to default, and the issue happened again.

Next week I will play with the settings to find a balance between speed and stability. I will let you know what I find. Thank you so much!
16-04-2015, 12:08 PM,
I have been trying out many different overclocking configurations, and I have not found any that work universally across all 25 devices. I have turned off, commented out of /boot/config.txt, all overclocking features. I am waiting to see if production sees any impact. All of our systems are set to RDP with rdesktop to Windows terminal servers. I suspect the default settings should handle the demand. We are now looking at the RPi2 as a suitable way to move our thin client needs forward.