Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chepeast and most efficient hosting technology for gpu virtualization
19-11-2013, 12:01 AM,
Chepeast and most efficient hosting technology for gpu virtualization
Hi,

just wanted to ask what is the most cheapest and most efficient technology for gpu virtualization.

So my goal is to test different technologies like HDX 3D and RemoteFX. What technology do you suggest to accelerate 3D for VM in production? Is there any open source option to get gpu acceleration through RDP for Windows 7 virtual machine?

Sorry for bad english Smile
22-11-2013, 10:31 AM,
RE: Chepeast and most efficient hosting technology for gpu virtualization
Hi Kippi,

what you describe are two different things. One if GPU virtualization and second is protocol optimization or acceleration.
if you want to use your GPU in a virtual machine then i would suggest Citrix XenSever 6.2. It can do that and i think now even for free because it is open source since the last release.

To accelerate your session and also the transport protocol i think the most powerful at the moment is HDX 3D. But i think it isn't free to use and you need XenDesktop for it. You can use this on an physical machine as well not only on a virtual.
Also you need a Hugh internet connection if you want to use this remotely.

i hope this helps you a bit.
We would be happy if you could share your experience with us when you have done this.

regards dawast
-= Feel Free to use the Search function in the upper right corner =-
25-11-2013, 10:57 PM,
Hi and than you for your reply dawast.

So my intention is to get accelerated graphics from VM to raspi using protocols like RDP or ICA.

So far i have tried normal RDP session to Windows Server 2008 R2 which was running on HP ProLiant G6. It was ok. OS ran as smoothly as with my Lenovo ThinkPad X230 laptop thru RDP.

Then i tried Remote Desktop Connection with RemoteFX acceleration and it was a little disappointment. My hardware was Intel Core i7-4770/20Gb DDR3/120GB SSD/Gigabyte H87-D3H motherboard with vt-d (ofc) and 1x AMD Radeon 7870 2Gb GFX Card. OS was first Server 2008 R2 but then i installed and used Server 2012 R2 which was faster but littler harder to get work.
Youtube videos were watchable but not good. Games didn't work at all and Solidworks eDrawings Viewer whirled simple 3D CAD picture OK. My resolutions varied from HD to 1920x1200.
Finally i have to say that i couldn't get RemoteFX to work with RPI-TC and xFreeRDP 1.1.0-beta1.

Once i've installed RemoteFX i have to say it would be easy to repeat the installation process.

There were couple of things which disturbed me a little. On Hyper-V you can't choose what GFX card to use with VM and GFX card memory limit is 384Mb/VM. Network utilization was around 20Mbps when RemoteFX was used.

I tried to install and use XenDesktop but since i have never install or use it, i was yet not able to do so. And for the record if you are trying to install XenDesktop for Server 2012 R2 make sure you have enough time configure. Smile

I have read that ICA compresses data better and so VM over LAN or WAN would run smoothly.
My next test will be with Citrix XenDesktop and i'm hoping that it would work better.

later, kippi.
02-12-2013, 12:19 PM,
Hi Kippi,

i think for what you want to try XenDesktop would be the best decision.
Citrix will accelerate your session really great for sure.
But please keep in mind that you are not able to use the full HDX 3D capability with a raspberry.
The hardware resources on the raspberry are limited and for some HDX features you need a hugh client system (fat client).

Regards DaWast
-= Feel Free to use the Search function in the upper right corner =-
09-01-2014, 06:47 AM,
DaWast do you think the Cubbietruck is better?

what about the ODROID, can it use the HDX 3D?