Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RPITC Hostname
16-05-2014, 03:04 PM,
Question  RPITC Hostname
Hello Guys and Girls,

can someone explain for me as noob how the RPITC creates the hostname ?
23-05-2014, 04:35 PM, (This post was last modified: 23-05-2014, 04:37 PM by greavette.)
RE: RPITC Hostname
Before there were these forums comments were made on the main rpitc site. From there I found the following information:

hostname is generated on macaddress, ex.: if mac is a1 : b2 : c3 : d4 : e5 : f6 hostname will be: rpitc-d4e5f6

Basically there is a hotname.sh file in the /etc/init.d/ folder which builds the hostname based on whats in /etc/hostname file and adds the mac address.
23-05-2014, 04:45 PM, (This post was last modified: 23-05-2014, 04:55 PM by GFA-Syscom.)
(23-05-2014, 04:35 PM)greavette Wrote: Before there were these forums comments were made on the main rpitc site. From there I found the following information:

hostname is generated on macaddress, ex.: if mac is a1 : b2 : c3 : d4 : e5 : f6 hostname will be: rpitc-d4e5f6

Basically there is a hotname.sh file in the /etc/init.d/ folder which builds the hostname based on whats in /etc/hostname file and adds the mac address.

I knew i read it somewhere but i didn't found it again :-(
Thx
But i found another solution for me to change the hostname:
I edit the rc.local with:
/bin/hostname "Hostname you want"
23-05-2014, 06:17 PM,
Hmmm, not sure that would stay the next time you reboot though. rpitc hostname.sh may run on next boot and clobber the hostname you've set. I've disabled hostname.sh on my thin clients as I manually set each hostname via a script (that also sets the static IP).

I'd be interested in knowing if this works for you cross reboots. Please let us know.

Thanks!