Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using Thinclient with Win SBS 2003
30-06-2014, 11:22 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-07-2014, 12:58 AM by greavette.)
RE: Using Thinclient with Win SBS 2003
Hi Dennis,

Ok, let's get this working if we can...

The RDPGui.ini you are using looks good to me. You can either use a DNS name like I do or an IP like you have...either is fine.

Let's make sure it's not something else that's wrong here by first connecting without the RDPGui. From your terminal in your Raspberry Pi can you connect via rdesktop with the terminal commands like so:

rdesktop -z -d lpain -u <Userid> -p <Password> 192.168.3.198

Where lpain is your domain, <Userid> is the id you login with and <Password> is the password for userid.

If that works then you know it's something with RDPGui. If that doesn't work then you have another issue not related to RDPGui.

For reference, here is my RDPGui.ini file (I've removed some company references, but you get the gist):

Code:
[DEFAULT]
RDPBinary = rdesktop
RDPDomain = mydomain1
RDPServer = server1
RDPDomainFlags = "-d"
RDPServerFlags = ""
RDPUserFlags = "-u"
RDPPasswordFlags = "-p"
RDPDefaulfFlags = "-x l -f"
RDPExtraFlags = "-z"

Let me know how your test goes.

BTW Dennis, I don't want you losing your job over this if it doesn't work at first. I would suggest you have something you can go too if things fall apart. Always good to have a backup plan. I always keep a couple of old windows computers hanging around if need be where I can quickly drop it in and get things going for the interim while I work out the solution. Not sure if you have that at your disposal but I like having something in my back pocket just in case.
01-07-2014, 02:13 AM,
(30-06-2014, 11:22 PM)greavette Wrote: Hi Dennis,

The RDPGui.ini you are using looks good to me. You can either use a DNS name like I do or an IP like you have...either is fine.

Let's make sure it's not something else that's wrong here by first connecting without the RDPGui. From your terminal in your Raspberry Pi can you connect via rdesktop with the terminal commands like so:

Where lpain is your domain, <Userid> is the id you login with and <Password> is the password for userid.

If that works then you know it's something with RDPGui. If that doesn't work then you have another issue not related to RDPGui.

For reference, here is my RDPGui.ini file (I've removed some company references, but you get the gist):

Code:
[DEFAULT]
RDPBinary = rdesktop
RDPDomain = mydomain1
RDPServer = server1
RDPDomainFlags = "-d"
RDPServerFlags = ""
RDPUserFlags = "-u"
RDPPasswordFlags = "-p"
RDPExtraFlags = "-z"

BTW Dennis, I don't want you losing your job over this if it doesn't work at first. I would suggest you have something you can go too if things fall apart. Always good to have a backup plan. I always keep a couple of old windows computers hanging around if need be where I can quickly drop it in and get things going for the interim while I work out the solution. Not sure if you have that at your disposal but I like having something in my back pocket just in case.

Thank you...that cleared a few things up. I will be back at that client office tomorrow about 10:00 or 11:00 AM (EST). I am reformatting the card...I think I messed everything up. I will try the test with just rdesktop. BTW, do I include the "< >" when entering values? Sorry, newbie question. So, if I am correct, I will open a LX termininal on the thin client and enter this:

rdesktop -z -d lpain -u dennis -p mapleleaf 192.168.3.198

Where "dennis"" is the username and "mapleleaf" is the password. The domain is "lpain" and the ip address is "192.168.3.198"

COrrect?

By chance, if it will not connect, what might be the reason? All the windows desktop PC's connect just fine...am I using the wrong domain maybe? So confusing!

Thank you again for everything!!! You are awesome my friend!
01-07-2014, 04:16 AM,
Hi Dennis,

Sorry about that...I shouldn't have put brackets around those userid and password. You are correct with your example...no brackets are needed. I use -z to make the test connection a little faster (compression). Your lxterminal example is correct.

If it doesn't connect, ensure you are using a domain ID that has access to your server (is an Administrator or is in the Remote Desktop Users Group). Check to see what version of remote desktop your server allows. I think you said it was Windows 2008. Look in System > Advanced System Settings > Remote Tab > Look at Remote Desktop section. For it to work for me I need to 'Allow connections from computers running any version of Remote Desktop (less secure)'. These are a few things that come to mind on what might be your problem if you can't connect.

Not sure how many domains you have? Only you would know which domain to use. If you were to go directly on that Win 2008 Server (not through Remote Desktop), what userid and password and domain would you use to mimic a user logging in from a remote desktop?

I hope I'm helping you...Good Luck!
01-07-2014, 06:21 PM,
(30-06-2014, 11:22 PM)greavette Wrote: Hi Dennis,

Code:
[DEFAULT]
RDPBinary = rdesktop
RDPDomain = mydomain1
RDPServer = server1
RDPDomainFlags = "-d"
RDPServerFlags = ""
RDPUserFlags = "-u"
RDPPasswordFlags = "-p"
RDPExtraFlags = "-z"

Okay, I think we made progress! I opened lx terminal, entered credentials, an used 10.1.21.100 as the ip. The user name and password I used is a general user with no ability to access the windows server 2003 management...however, when I connect, the server manager screen loads, not the individual user workstation. Am I possibly using the wrong IP address? The domain is lpain and I also noticed the workstations connect to lpain.local - I tried both, still connects directly to the server. Any ideas? Thank you! Moving right along!!!
01-07-2014, 07:37 PM,
Hi Dennis,

I'm confused...I think this has gotten more complicated than it needs to be. Let's back up here...

You originally had a Dell Workstation. I'm assuming you used that Dell Workstation to connect through remote Desktop to your Windows Server 2003. If this is true then there is no need to find out what userid or domain to use...you already know this. Use the same credentials you previously used when you used remote desktop from the Dell Workstation.

If you didn't use remote desktop from the Dell workstation then maybe you used the desktop from the Dell workstation. That's dead...now you are using the desktop from the Windows 2003 Server. It will look different than the Dell workstation. Makes sense?

Ok..now on to remote desktop...I'm unclear what you are expecting here? For remote desktop use the IP of the Windows 2003 Server and login with a userid and password that has the correct access to login with Remote Desktop. You'll see a Windows 2003 Desktop. Server Manager will open if it's set to open when logging in. Close it if it's opened. Customize this desktop anyway you like. When you logout and log back in with the same user you should see this same customized desktop for that userid.

If this is all unclear to you then I would suggest you do one of two things:

1. Reach out to someone in your area to assist you with your connection issues. If possible have them look over your shoulder as you show them what you are doing. If you have a deadline looming and your job is on the line, you shouldn't be messing around with what userid to use and what domain to use. These should already be established and known. Don't let this get down to the last day where you are still scrambling.
2. Have a backup plan or escape plan that will solve your problem by the deadline with whatever you need to get the job done. Using the Pi for Remote Desktop should be easy...if it's not then don't use it. Use something you are familiar with and comfortable with. On the side play with the Pi and remote desktop (when you don't have a deadline hanging over you).

It's up to you if you want to continue...I'll keep an eye on this thread if you have more questions...the above is just what I would do if I were in your situation.
01-07-2014, 08:33 PM,
(01-07-2014, 07:37 PM)greavette Wrote: Hi Dennis,

I'm confused...I think this has gotten more complicated than it needs to be. Let's back up here...

You originally had a Dell Workstation. I'm assuming you used that Dell Workstation to connect through remote Desktop to your Windows Server 2003. If this is true then there is no need to find out what userid or domain to use...you already know this. Use the same credentials you previously used when you used remote desktop from the Dell Workstation.

If you didn't use remote desktop from the Dell workstation then maybe you used the desktop from the Dell workstation. That's dead...now you are using the desktop from the Windows 2003 Server. It will look different than the Dell workstation. Makes sense?

Ok..now on to remote desktop...I'm unclear what you are expecting here? For remote desktop use the IP of the Windows 2003 Server and login with a userid and password that has the correct access to login with Remote Desktop. You'll see a Windows 2003 Desktop. Server Manager will open if it's set to open when logging in. Close it if it's opened. Customize this desktop anyway you like. When you logout and log back in with the same user you should see this same customized desktop for that userid.

If this is all unclear to you then I would suggest you do one of two things:

1. Reach out to someone in your area to assist you with your connection issues. If possible have them look over your shoulder as you show them what you are doing. If you have a deadline looming and your job is on the line, you shouldn't be messing around with what userid to use and what domain to use. These should already be established and known. Don't let this get down to the last day where you are still scrambling.
2. Have a backup plan or escape plan that will solve your problem by the deadline with whatever you need to get the job done. Using the Pi for Remote Desktop should be easy...if it's not then don't use it. Use something you are familiar with and comfortable with. On the side play with the Pi and remote desktop (when you don't have a deadline hanging over you).

It's up to you if you want to continue...I'll keep an eye on this thread if you have more questions...the above is just what I would do if I were in your situation.

I'm sorry I was confused (I think) - Here is what I thought/expected

1- When an employee logs in after ctl+alt+delete their personalized desktop loads (seemingly) from the server. I know now that much of the information on their computers (including files and documents) are in fact not on the server but stored locally on their C: drives.

2- I have tried several different users...they all seem to have access to the server management when i log them in through rdesktop (window to manage server pops up) and they have access through start menu. When they log in through a working Dell PC in the office, they do not have those rights...i am guessing I will have to change some settings in the server to manage policies for users doing it this way.

3- I am successful in logging in through rdesktop with several users in the office. They all seem to have a standard setting of 3-4 applications on the server desktop. Their files and other custom icons/apps seem to be on their local Dell workstation. I do not have enough free space on the server to install everyone's personalized applications and documents, so that poses another issue I guess.

4- I may be wrong, but I am guess that for this to work, I would need a LOT of free drive space on the server...there is a large office management application that I now understand is installed through an installer on the server onto each workstation locally. If I were to install this and all other apps (card readers, scanners, documents folders, files, etc.) on each desktop in the server,it would be impossible.

5- Additionally, the stupid monitors in the office are all VGA, and after buying a VGA to HDMI converter realize that it won't work. So all monitors will have to be switched over or I will have to buy a powered converter at about $50.00 USD each.

6- I guess my lack of knowledge in how the server played a role in the workstations was the issue. I thought it was set up where each personalized desktop (including files, folders, and applications) were not stored on workstations, but instead on the server. I see now I was so wrong!

I really want to thank you. It looks like the end of the road for me on this one. I guess I could clone the current 60GB hard drive Server 2003 is installed on in the server and install a 4+ terabyte drive, copy the cloned image, and then copy all files and folders from each workstation to the server desktop associated with each user login.

You are a very intelligent and very helpful person. I am sorry I have nothing at the moment to offer you in return, but I do sincerely appreciate everything and all the help you have offered. I know your time in responding has created a nice little tutorial for other readers...thank you a million times over.
02-07-2014, 02:01 AM,
Ok...now we are at the root of these problems. I'm glad you have a better understanding of your situation now. I'm sorry you weren't able to use the Pi with Gibbio's amazing Thin Client Project. Hopefully you'll find a way to use it in the future and come back here. Smile

So it would appear that your original Dell Workstations were not using Remote Desktop.

Using Remote Desktop with a Thin Client is very different than using a full workstation. RPITC is a system whereby you connect to a remote server and use the resources from the remote server for your desktop needs. If you are interested in learning more about remote desktop and the special setup you need as well as licensing, please take a look at this links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remote_Desktop_Services

For your setup you probably wouldn't need to clone a new larger hard drive. Depending on your server you could probably just drop in a larger (slave) drive and expand your space that way. Each remote desktop client that connects to this server wouuld use resources and space from the server so you'd need to ensure you have enough Ram, CPU and hard drive space. And most importantly, to make this work you need to pay the proper CAL licenses to Microsoft for each client that connects.

I'm happy to help in any way I can. Good luck with your supporting this business.