Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using Thinclient with Win SBS 2003
22-05-2014, 10:35 PM,
Using Thinclient with Win SBS 2003
First off, AMAZING project and you are a genius.

Okay, now, down to business...

I recently had a Dell workstation go down. Instead of replacing it, I wanted to test out using the RPi as a thin client. I did a great deal of research online and finally came across the tutorial on itToby's site and it led me to you and your application. I have not set up the Pi for this yet, mainly because I am not clear if you can use it to connect to my Windows server 2003. I do not want to remote desktop to the server admin, but rather just to the user desktop associated with the Dell workstation that failed. So, here are my questions:

1- Can thinclient software connect to the win server 2003 and display the exact desktop that was being displayed for that particular user that had the Dell?

2- If yes, can the user switch back to a linux-based view and minimize the server remote session?

Finally, very soon I want to block the server via firewall (sonic) so when the clients are logged in, there is no internet available. The only way for internet access would be through the base Linux desktop after the remote view is minimized...the firewall will not block the RPi. I am doing this because of security of some shared applications that are installed and used on the server...keeps outside threats away.

If anyone could please let me know about these things, I would be forever grateful!

Messages In This Thread
Using Thinclient with Win SBS 2003 - by dbirk007 - 22-05-2014, 10:35 PM