Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using Thinclient with Win SBS 2003
23-05-2014, 05:20 PM,
RE: Using Thinclient with Win SBS 2003
(23-05-2014, 05:02 PM)greavette Wrote: Hello dbirk007,

I'm not sure I understand what you are asking? You say you don't want to remote desktop? Then how was your Dell workstation connecting to the Win 2003 server?

I'm thinking what you are saying is that your Dell workstation connected through remote desktop to your Win 2003 Server with an ID that was not the Administrator ID.

1- Can thinclient software connect to the win server 2003 and display the exact desktop that was being displayed for that particular user that had the Dell?

If you were connecting to the Win 2003 Server with a user id through remote desktop (mstsc) on the Dell workstation and you use the exact same user ID from the Raspberry Pi Thin Client you will see the exact same desktop. I do this regularly for my office's workstations and I've found Gibbio's rdp-gui to be invaluable for this. I set this app up so it's loaded on my Rpi Thin Client and all the person has to do is put in their ID and Password and they will connect through rdesktop.

2- If yes, can the user switch back to a linux-based view and minimize the server remote session?

To minimize the rdesktop connection, press the following keys at the same time:
CTRL Alt Enter
This will bring your rdesktop view out of full screen so you now see the border and the minimize buttons at the top right. Click on the minimize button and you will again see the rpitc desktop. Your remote desktop session is now on the taskbar at the bottom. To bring the remote desktop session back to full view maximize it again and press the same key combination:
CTRL ALT Enter
Not sure why you would want this. My clients do all their work from their Windows Virtual Machine...I find doing anything on the Raspberry Pi with regards to Internet Browsing to be far too slow. I also don't want my clients to do anything on the Raspberry Pi Thin Client...the less they touch the more likely that nothing will break Smile.

I hope my comments help.

^^^ Yes! This helps a great deal! You were correct, I did not just want to remote to the server admin desktop, but rather just show the exact view of the personalized desktop that was showing before the Dell went down. Thank you a million times over for clarifying that for me. As for the ability to switch back and forth...well, here is the story...right now, XP is EOL. This particular office is a medical office and HIPAA will immediately impose HEFTY fines for anyone using an XP machine with an internet connection.

Right now, the office must run XP because the management software only runs on this version. So, I intend to firewall the internet access from the server so when users log in and use the software they have no direct access to the internet. Satisfies HIPAA. Then, if an employee needs to get online (rare occasion) they can minimize the windows view that comes from the server and get online from the thinclient software...as a note, does the thinclient software come with a browser and can I download one? Again, I really appreciate everything...so much!

Messages In This Thread
Using Thinclient with Win SBS 2003 - by dbirk007 - 22-05-2014, 10:35 PM
RE: Using Thinclient with Win SBS 2003 - by dbirk007 - 23-05-2014, 05:20 PM