Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using Thinclient with Win SBS 2003
23-05-2014, 07:44 PM,
RE: Using Thinclient with Win SBS 2003
(23-05-2014, 06:40 PM)dbirk007 Wrote:
(23-05-2014, 05:57 PM)greavette Wrote: Glad I was able to clear some things up for you. So, do you have a Raspberry Pi yet in your possession to test this out?

With regards to XP...I have a similar issue but solved it this way. Windows 7 has XP mode which should theoretically allow you to run software that doesn't natively work on Windows 7 to work. It worked for me in my office...if you have Windows 7, load up the App and ensure you are using XP mode and give it a try. That might get you around this issue you are having with hefty fines.

The rpitc does come with a browser (Iceweasel I think) but I would caution you against using it until you have ensured your users are ok with the decreased speed they will notice when using it. Any kind of browsing on the Pi I've found to be too slow. Also, if you have a requirement from a website to only use IE then you can't do this from the Thin Client. Just somethings to consider. If you have a Raspberry Pi, load it up with rpitc...open your terminal and use the rdesktop instruction to connect to a workstation or server. Then try using the browser. Then you'll get a sense of what your clients/users will experience. I did a lot of testing before I dropped this into our office. I created scripts to help setup each thin client per workstation and I use cron jobs to autoconnect certain workstations that need to be always connected. It was a great learning experience for sure!

Good Luck! And you are right...this really is an amazing project!

Again, thank you so much! Yes, I have three RPi's...the other two I set up to stream OPUS audio codec over IP to help a radio station get around buying 20k worth of hardware and decreased latency to around 200ms. I have been playing around with the Pi for about a year, so I am definitely aware of the browser speeds. (Maybe this will keep them from playing on the internet - lol!) Anyway, I actually just completed deleting disk partitions with diskpart on a new SD card.

I downloaded the latest image (5 I think) and I am now writing to the card via RoadKill app. It is about 85% complete. I am at my home lab, but will take it to the client for testing today or over the weekend. I am EXCITED! I am such a geek, I know! lol - Anyway, if I could ask you something else...if I wanted the RPi thinclient app to run when the Pi was powered on, what should I do? I don't want to automatically populate username and password for security...just start the login screen...any thoughts? Thank you so freaking much! BTW, if you ever need to pick my brain on what I have attempted with the RPi thus far, jsut let me know! - My name is Dennis BTW.

I have it up and running! However, I clicked on the X2GO icon, and a screen comes up with name "new session" - It is asking for a Host and Login...and SSH port. This is new to me...I am not a pro...usually, the employees click ctl+alt+del to login to the host server and gain access to their individual desktops. Is this a step before that? I guess I am unsure of what the login is...the host is the server name, correct? Thank you again!!

Messages In This Thread
Using Thinclient with Win SBS 2003 - by dbirk007 - 22-05-2014, 10:35 PM
RE: Using Thinclient with Win SBS 2003 - by dbirk007 - 23-05-2014, 07:44 PM