Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using Thinclient with Win SBS 2003
23-05-2014, 08:17 PM,
RE: Using Thinclient with Win SBS 2003
Nice to meet you Dennis. I'm Charles. I'm by no means a pro either but I'll help you if I can. Smile Sounds like you've done some interesting things with the Pi already as well.

I don't know exactly what you are using in your home lab, but if you are mimicking your client's medical office then you probably aren't using x2go. x2go uses NX Technology - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NX_technology. I haven't used this in quite some time and don't have a system setup to assist you with testing...but suffice it to say you need know the details listed to login.

If you meant to use rdesktop, open your lxterminal and use rdesktop like so:

rdesktop -f -z -u <enter user id> -p <enter password> -d <enter domain name> 192.168.x.x

This is just a test to make sure it's going to allow you to connect to a windows virtual machine (or physical...whatever) using the linux rdesktop app.
-f means full screen
-z enables compression and makes it a faster experience
-u is the login id. Optional. If you don't put that in, when you connect to Windows you will be asked which user id to use
-p is the password. Optional for your test. When you connect to Windows you will be asked for a password
192.168.x.x is the IP address of the machine you are connecting too.
-d Domain Name. Optional. If you don't have a domain setup then don't include this.

If this test works then you should connect to a Windows computer in full screen mode. Use the keys I mentioned earlier to help you minimize your rdesktop session and try browsing the net with the thin clients browser.

This is only for testing.

For your clients day to day use I would suggest you use Gibbio's rdp-gui application. You can download it from here.
http://rpitc.blogspot.ca/2013/09/freerdp...lient.html

Make sure you install Python-qt4 first (after updaing your repos of course)
sudo apt-get install python-qt4

Setup the rdp-gui config using these parameters:
https://github.com/Gibbio/RDPGUI

There might be a bug in the code still. If you can't connect due to a domain issue then look at the comments section of when rdp-gui was announced. You have to update as follows the following rdpgui.py code:

On line 141 change config.get("DEFAULT", RDPDomain) for onfig.get("DEFAULT", "RDPDomain")
(right, just quote RDPDomain)

Ok, now that you have rdp-gui installed add it to your autostart file:
@python /usr/bin/rdpgui.py

Now when you restart your rpitc you will see the RDP-Gui on the desktop waiting for the Username and Password of the Windows Machine you are connecting too. You can then create a customized config file for each Thin Client that points to the Server you want that workstation to connect too. It's not an automatic way to connect you to a workstation (I have another way to do that), but it does look professional in my opinion with a waiting username and password GUI for your clients to use to connect to the workstation they need to use.

Let me know how you make out with your testing.

Messages In This Thread
Using Thinclient with Win SBS 2003 - by dbirk007 - 22-05-2014, 10:35 PM
RE: Using Thinclient with Win SBS 2003 - by greavette - 23-05-2014, 08:17 PM