Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using Thinclient with Win SBS 2003
30-06-2014, 06:01 PM,
RE: Using Thinclient with Win SBS 2003
(04-06-2014, 03:04 PM)greavette Wrote: Hello Dennis,

Glad to see you are on your way! I'm using RDPGui on 4 of my workstations in our office and it's working well for us.

The domain and server IP are different things. The domain is how you authenticate your login id. The Server IP is the IP address of the server you are going to use as your desktop. If you are on a domain then yes you would need to enter both of these items into the RDPGui.ini file.

I believe the new version RDPGui has an exit button on it now that lets you close it if you like. To open it once it's been closed you would need to right click on your thin client desktop and start it from there...or restart your thin client (assuming you've uncommented RDPGui from the autostart file). For our office I have cron jobs that check to ensure required apps are always running but if you don't need it you can alway start it manually again from the desktop menu.

Now it's time to test the hell out of this Thin Client to ensure it does what you expect with the performance you need before you drop it into the office. I find using the Raspberry Pi as a thin client does have it's ups an downs. Sometimes I get sticky keyboard keys and once or twice in the past 9 months we've had serious lag with one of the workstations where it was unusable. A restart of the Thin Client fixed these issues. I'm not convinced that the Raspberry Pi can completely replace the performance of a commercial thin client product but it is a very cheap alternative that seems to work well for us in our office as long as no one expects to watch video from their remote desktop. Smile

But then again I'm only using the Pi with rdesktop...I have no experience with the performance when using it with spice or citrix.

Good luck with your project!

HELP! LOL, I think I missed something. I have been trying to get this working and I have no hair left to pull out. I tried connecting to the server through RDP-GUI. It says could not connect. Was I also supposed to set up the rdesktop and just use the RDP GUI to allow for an easier interface? I only set up the RDP GUI. Anyway, I may be doing other things wrong as well. Everyone in the office (all workstations) connect to the domain on the server. Let's call it lpain. Normally, when they sit down in front of their Windows PC attached to the server, they have a login screen that already has the lpain on it. They enter a username (already defined on the server) and their password and their desktop is loaded.

When I tried to set up the Rpi TC, I went to the server and googled what's my ip to find the IP address. So, i have the domain, lpain and the server ip address. I thought that was all I needed, so I set it up in RDP GUI only with those values.

my rdpgui.ini file looks like this:

[DEFAULT]
RDPBinary = rdesktop
RDPDomain = lpain (name of the domain that the workstations connect to, correct?)
RDPServer = 192.168.3.198 (I only have to put the static IP address of the server here correct?)
RDPDomainFlags = "-d"
RDPServerFlags = ""
RDPUserFlags = "-u"
RDPPasswordFlags = "-p"
RDPDefaulfFlags = "-x | -f"
RDPExtraFlags = "-z"

When I try a user name and password on the GUI screen, it says "Server error, call your sysadmin

Also, when I first tried it, it did nothing. I then remembered you saying there was an issue in the code and you had to add quotes somewhere, I did that and then at least the GUI did something when I clicked the arrow.

I am down to a week before this has to be up and running. My job depends on it...and I am scared! I know you are very busy, and I appreciate everything you have helped me with so far. I am indebted to you!

Thank you so much!!!

Dennis

Messages In This Thread
Using Thinclient with Win SBS 2003 - by dbirk007 - 22-05-2014, 10:35 PM
RE: Using Thinclient with Win SBS 2003 - by dbirk007 - 30-06-2014, 06:01 PM